Friday, August 21, 2009

Viva CrossFit Las Vegas!

It's probably not an entirely healthy thing that one of the things I was most looking forward to about my first ever trip to Vegas was the chance to try out the CrossFit there.

CrossFit Las Vegas has a pretty sweet facility, probably about 5000 square feet. (Pictures later, once they're downloaded). The clientele that I saw there was a lot less demographically varied than what we have at CrossFit Regina. Most seemed to be in their 20s and 30s, and all seemed to be starting at a reasonably good level of fitness. Everyone was very welcoming and patient with me when I asked to take a few post-WOD group photos.

I was told they have around 130 members, which surprises me, given how big Las Vegas is, and this is the only official CrossFit affiliate there that I know of. Does everyone else train MMA or something?

The owner, Zach, definitely knows what he's doing and ran us through a good warm-up, which included a breakdown of each component of the squat clean. I liked this because when the time came to lose the PVC and pick up the actual weight, it seemed like second nature.

The workout was five rounds, for time, of
9 Hang Squat Cleans - 135lb is the rx'd weight, though I did 115.
7 Handstand Pushups - Most people used an abmat or two, I managed to do it to the floor with kipping HSPU.

11:00 was my time.

I am very much looking forward to going back, and any CrossFitters who pass through Vegas without stopping in for a workout are really going to be missing out.

Plus, doing a CrossFit workout helps relieve some of the buffet-and-beer-related guilt that Vegas begets.

4 comments:

Zach@CFLV said...

Hey Tyler!
Thanks for the kind words! This is a pretty sweet blog you got running here...I added it to my update list. I'll definitely swing by if I'm ever up north.
Take care!
Zach @ CFLV

Anonymous said...

Thats the shit.props to ya.Imagine tyler if you can,I have a huge head full of dreadlocks-and i love them-Vegas would be my barber Shop.I might regreat the trip is what I am sayin.Thats koo that you hit up the CFLV.CF can now be my sole purpose for travel....that is cool
Shae

Leya said...

I am so kicking myself that I didn't go last year. Sounds like they have a great affiliate down there!

Robin said...

Very cool! Send me a pic and I'll put it on our CFR website!