Thursday, August 27, 2009

How much ya bench?

In my case, not much.

The WOD was 5-5-5-5-5 of bench presses, followed by five rope climbs and 50 leg pistols.

I had never done bench presses as part of a workout, but I knew that I can't lift a lot that way. Plus, my left arm has been a bit sore since Saturday's day of hell.

So, my lifts went like this: 95, 115, 125, 135, 140 (1). Oh yeah, I was partnered with Harlan, who was lifting 100lbs more than me.

Afterward, it was time to tackle the rope climb. I was a little apprehensive, because I'd only done it once before. That time, it really hurt my sissy hands and I think it contributed to a temporary arm problem.

The first one went fine. The second climb went even better, and I barely had to use my feet. I got to the top, rang the bell and it was time to go down.

There are two ways to go down the rope: You can drop (we have a crashpad, though it's not huge) or you can climb (which takes more work). The problem is, I'm both chickenshit and lazy. So my instincts l tried to slide down it like a fireman's pole. Well, obviously that is not something you do on a rough, coarse rope. Naturally, I skinned a good-sized chunk out of the meaty part of my palm, below my thumb.

Fuck.

Actually, it could have been way worse, so I got pretty lucky.

But I didn't get to the other three rope climbs, and it was getting late so no leg pistols, either.

5 comments:

Kurt said...

The bench press wods turns me into an outsider at the gym. I can hold my own with other workouts but this one makes me feel like the violin toting Les Nessman from WKRP. I usually stand back in awe of the other guys benching more than me (guys with 40lbs less mass than I have) and some of the women as well. To put it this way, Angdesj could easily pin me in a UFC match.

Umm, not sure if there’s any pearls of wisdom here but you can safely say you’ve got me beat. I don’t think I could even get one rep @ 135lbs.

Anonymous said...

Kurt you will have to get in line. I will be pinning Harlan first in a match.

a

Aaron said...

I didn't think you were getting that rematch, a. Sounds like you are optimistic, though.

Kurt said...

I should mention that I did get a 1RM of 155lbs so I guess I did beat you this time. Doesn't happen very often.

Robin said...

Tyler, remind me to show you how I come down the rope next time we're at the gym at the same time.

And you need to update your Helen time on your benchmark list to the left here.