Monday, March 11, 2013

Volke Vikings Garage WOD: Squat cleans, Burpee Broad Jumps, Wall Balls

The mascot for Steve's garage gym.  I'm not sure if that counts as a hook grip.


"The thought of having to pick that bar up again makes me sad."
-Me, at the start of the second round.  Or maybe the third.  Whatever.

Steve Volke invited Rankin and me to his garage of discomfort (I can't remember... are we calling it VolkeFit?) for a Monday evening Volke Vikings workout.

The WOD was an adapted team version of the previous day's WOD at CFR.  I was acutally sorry I missed out on Sunday, so I was happy to get a chance to do it.  (Chalk this up to utter foolishness.)

3 rounds for time:
7 Squat Cleans (165/105)
9 Burpee Broad Jumps (we actually did them like this - broad jump, burpee, jump up to touch Steve's pull-up bar)
40 Wall Balls (20/14)

- 20 minute time cap


We started with a guy at each station and would rotate when the last guy had finished his quota.  When this was originally conceived, I thought maybe we should have each guy keep going until the last guy had reached his quota.  But Steve and Rankin did some warm-ups on the 165lb squat cleans and Steve informed me that my idea was fucking stupid. 

Steve is a very nice guy, so he was more diplomatic about it, but he was right.

This was way tougher than it looks, even with the brief respite you got whenever you were at the burpee broad jump station.

By the time I got to the wall balls each round, I was kind of wrecked so there were plenty of breaks.  I don't think I did any group of 40 in fewer than five sets, which is pretty bad.  It worked out okay for Steve and Rankin, though, because they got a bit more thanks to my lagging. 

We got finished in 19:47.  Originally, I didn't think you'd need anything close to 20 min for this workouts, but if I had done this individually, there's a good chance I wouldn't have had the motivation to finish this before the time cap. 
Afterward, I stopped by Starbucks to get my lovely wife a vanilla latte on the way home (because I'm sweet like that, yo) and my legs were so messed up I had to sit down while they made the order. 

2 comments:

Steve Volke said...

This was a great workout and I have a wonderful idea for the next installment of VolkeFit.

Tyler said...

I'm almost afraid to ask.