Sunday, March 31, 2013

13.4 - Must be the shoes

Seven-minute AMRAP of
3 clean and jerk (135lbs)
3 toes to bar
6 C&J
6 T2B
9 C&J
9 T2B
(etc...)

I hadn't been to CrossFit since Tuesday, and spent a quick overnight trip to Saskatoon drinking, staying up late, and gorging myself on Fuddruckers and dim sum.  

But, while in Saskatoon, I did manage to vist Brainsport and buy a new pair of minimalist Innov-8 shoes.  

This seemed like the perfect WOD to start them out with.  The flatness is good for Oly lifting and their light weight is ideal for T2B.  I'm not sure how much of a difference it really makes, but it can't hurt.  So far, I really like them, but I might change my mind when having to run 400m in an alley. 

I didn't warm up very much when I got to CFR, but I did a few C&Js just to make sure I remembered what 135lbs felt like. 

My goal was to break 60, which would mean completing the round of 12s. 

After the 3,2,1 GO I wasn't going super fast, but I did keep up a pretty good pace, without stopping too much for air.  In spite of my plan to drop the bar after each C&J to preserve energy, I held onto the bar for the first set of 3. 

While other people can string together T2B, I haven't mastered that yet.  I can do them without dropping off the bar, but there is a lot of excess flailing and swinging involved, so I typically touch my feet to the ground between each rep to reset my position.  It's slower, but the advantage is it hurts my hands less and is not as taxing on my forearms.  In a WOD like this, which is really taxing on your grip and forearms, it's an advantage. 

I apparently dismounted the bar with some flair a couple of times during the transition from T2B to C&Js.  It wasn't intentional, but if it entertained the crowd awaiting the Lance vs. Matt main event, that's cool. 

So I kept a steady pace and had lots of time left as I entered the round of 12s.  I knew at that point I was going to break 60.  I finished the 12 T2B with around a minute left and managed to squeeze in another 10 C&J before time ran out.

Final score: 70. 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You forgot to mention schronkin.