Monday, March 25, 2013

Daddy's new toy

We got a C2 rower for the basement. 


It's actually mostly for my wife, Tracey.  Due to some insanely flat feet, she can't run without getting shin splints.  Back when she went to CrossFit, she usually substituted rowing for running, except when she was goaded by a well-intentioned but misguided coach (who no longer works there).

Right now, she doesn't feel like she could commit the time to a gym membership, but she wanted something effective she could do at home without a huge time commitment.  So we decided to buy one of these bad boys as a birthday present for each other (our birthdays are pretty close). 

I figure even if Tracey loses interest (she's a self-professed "dabbler"), it's something I can use, even if it's once or twice a week.  It shouldn't gather dust.  Heck, even the Boy hops on the rower when we go to CFR, and sometimes I make him do burpees if he is being a little hyperactive.  Every so often, I'll probably make him row a few hundred metres before he plays Wii. 

Last night, I rowed my first 2km on it.  It took me 7:44.6 

There's definitely some room for improvement there.  My first 500m took longer than 2:00, because I paused to turn off the space heater that was right next to me (plan better next time, dumbass) and I thought I'd just take it easy on account of my legs not working so good from 13.3. 

By the end, though, I was going pretty hard, as I wanted to finish well under 8:00.  As normally happens when I row hard, I make some sounds that would be considered a bit bizarre by non-CrossFitters... and also CrossFitters who are non-weirdos. 

Did I mention my in-laws live in my basement? 

No comments: