Saturday, March 23, 2013

13.3: Dave Castro can kiss my ass

"13.3 is 12.4!" - Dave Castro.

Whatever, dude. Eat a bag of dicks. 

I didn't even officially register in the Open last year but I did nearly all of the WODs. And the one that packed the most Gawd-awful suck for your buck was this nightmare. 

12 minute AMRAP of:
150 wall balls (aka "Karen")
90 double unders (aka "the part where your legs fucking mutiny")
30 muscle-ups. 

Last year, I had one goal: Make it to the MUs. 

I failed. I was 20 measly double unders away.   I could see it.  I was so close.  But I ran out of time. Final score: 220

This year was gonna be different, though. I'd pace myself on the WB and I wouldn't let myself get frustrated on the DUs. I sure as hell wouldn't kick off my shoes and whip my toes while failing miserably at double unders. 

I knew what to expect.  I'd get there. I GOT THIS.

3,2,1 GO!

After an initial set of 20, I did the WB in sets of 10, then 7. I made sure I didn't any no rep calls, throwing that ball well above the line, and getting plenty of depth on the squat. I rested at regular intervals, but not for too long. Still, I got done in 9:35.  Not great, and a lot slower than last year, but still a reasonable amount of time to do 90 DUs.

Except my legs were almost useless at this point.  First 20 double unders kicked the shit out of me. I think my next set was 14.  I may have gotten another set in the double digits, but maybe not.  I had nothing in the tank and was well short as the clock ran out

 I was pretty sure what my final total was, but I let Thomas (my judge) confirm what I feared.  

220. Again. The exact same score. 

FUCK.  

No comments: