Thursday, September 3, 2009

"Gates of Fire 2"

UPDATE - I had mistakenly thought the name of this WOD was "Gates of Hell 2"

Apparently, they do a lot of weighted squats in Hell. After yesterday's Heavy Fran thrusters, this one was a little tough.

50 sit-ups
50 push-ups
25 front squats
25 back squats
25 overhead squats
25 front squats
50 pull-ups
50 sit-ups

Rx'd weight for the squats is 65lb.

I was doing fine on the sit-ups until the last 10. The push-ups started to suck really early, like after 20 of them.

On all of the squat variations, the most I ever did consecutively was 12, and there were sets of 3 and 4, too.

My sissy hands were a bit raw from yesterday's pull-ups, so after a couple of sets of 10, it was 5s, 4s, and - by the end - 1s.

The last 50 sit-ups sucked HARD. After 10, I was starting to question whether I could do it. I turned to face the clock to give me a bit of motivation. I was hoping to beat 16:30, but I had like 9 left at 16:35. I managed to squeak in under the 17:00 mark, though.

16:57


We were supposed to wait five minutes after the last person was finished, then do a 400m sprint. I got a bit more of a rest than others, but my thighs were still threatening a mutiny when we lined up. Right off the start, Janimal kept a pretty good pace in front of me. That girl is in shape. I found a little bit of energy on the final 200, and managed to push myself pretty hard in the last 100m.

1:24

After this, I wondered what Gates of Hell 1 is like. I found a video on YouTube. If this is true, it looks truly awful. It would also be impossible for me, because I can't deadlift 315 once, let alone three times every other minute. And don't get me started on rope climbs.

5 comments:

Leya said...

Okay, um... FUN. Seriously, I'm definitely wanting to try GofF1 now. That would make for a crazy Sat. a.m. WOD. I'm guessing women's weight would be 65lbs for the thruster and 200lbs for the deadlift?

Tyler said...

You are nuts. I had always kind of suspected it, and now I know for sure.

Anonymous said...

Ok, I did this at lunch. I thought it was weird that you said you didn't think you would finish the last 50 situps....and then it was my turn. FUCK! It was horrible. I used 65lbs and you'd think that part alone would have killed me. Thzt was the easy part compared to each grueling situp. Took my bloody 4 min. The first set took me a minute and maybe 15 sec. I reiterate FUCK!

a

Robin said...

Um... it's Gates of Fire, not Gates of Hell!

Anonymous said...

Felt like Hell to me.

a