Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Shoulder Press / "Every Rep Counts"

A. Shoulder Press 3-3-3

115-125-130

While there is nothing funny about my mediocre-and-not-improving press numbers, I did find something to laugh about when doing presses.

On the final set of 130, I did the first two reps fairly quickly, then gravity decided to assert itself. I don't know how long that final rep took from the point it left my shoulders until I managed to fully lock it out, but it was longer than five seconds.  

All I could think about as I was trying to get the weight overhead was "Shit, this is just like the 25-second Dave Castro Deadlift." 

(See that epic moment in the history of picking up heavy shit for yourself.  It can be seen throughout this mashup of CrossFit FAILS by Drywall, the thorn in CrossFit HQ's side and the blogger behind the excellent Forging Elite Sarcasm blog and the new, not-just-CrossFit blog Pissing Victory



 

B. "Every Rep Counts" 

20-min AMRAP of:

10 Wall Balls
10 Box Jumps
10 Deadlifts (205lbs)
10 Speed Burpees

We did this WOD almost exactly one year ago.  I really wanted to beat my score, 221,  from back then.   

When we started, I started out quick, and had to remind myself not to blow all my energy in the first five minutes.   

I wanted to minimize the breaks I took, especially on the deadlifts.  The deadlifts sucked, by the way, but probably not as much as they for me did last year. 

I did manage to beat my previous results for this WOD, although I won't read too much into it, since the last time we did it, it followed some heavy front squats.  Also, it was a lunch time WOD, which are fun but sometimes it's hard to get as intense for those. 

Final results:
6 rounds complete, plus four WB.  Total = 244. 

No comments: