Wednesday, January 16, 2013

FrostFit 2013 WODs posted: I'm f--ked

CrossFit Winnipeg has posted the first three events for FrostFit.

As I noted on Twitter, "I'm extremely confident I can bring home a 'Participant' ribbon." 

In other words... I'm fucked. Just totally, utterly fucked.  

It should be a good time, though.  I have yet to regret participating in a CrossFit competition. 

This, despite the fact that I am increasingly less competitive, due to the ever-increasing number of superstar ninja firebreathing CrossFitters that seem to be showing up to these things.  The events themselves are getting tougher, too.  Whereas I once scored middle-of-the-pack in a competition in Saskatoon, nowadays I am usually bringing up the rear, even in less competitive divisions. 

But that's cool.  Not everyone can get on the podium.  I think it's an accomplishment just to sign up and show up, take my beating and come back for more.



So, here's what I'll be doing this weekend. 


Event #1 - Clean Ladder
Athletes will have 45 seconds in which to successfully clean the barbell. The athlete must remain at his station for the duration of the 45 second period. The athlete may attempt the clean more than once. If the athlete does not complete the clean, they are finished the event at the end of that 45 second period. However, an athlete may contribute to their score by deadlifting the barbell for the remaining duration of their time at that station. The number of reps of deadlift completed will be used to rank athletes who successfully clean the same weight. After 45 seconds has passed, athletes who have successfully cleaned the bar will move on to the next bar at an incrementally higher weight. Athletes who have not successfully cleaned the bar are finished the event after that interval. If a competitor successfully reaches the tenth and final barbell, they may load it to whatever weight they wish.

THE BARBELLS

Men’s RX: 185, 205, 225, 235, 245, 255, 265, 275, 285, 290 + bonus plates

My thoughts:
This is tricky.  Do I go for a 225 clean, when I don't think I've ever beat 210?  (I've done three reps at 205, so theoretically, there should be some room there) Or do I settle for the 205 and deadlift like a mofo, which will probably kill me for the next round?   I'm one of the last competitors in this heat (we were alphabetized by first name, yay!) so I might see what others have done and strategize from there. 


Event #2 - Couplet Ladder

This workout is comprised of three stations, each with a couplet of two movements. Athletes will alternate between the two movements in a ladder rep scheme, starting with one rep of each, followed by two reps of each, followed by three reps of each, and so on until time expires. Each set of one movement must be completed before moving onto the next movement, as shown below.

Example:
1 rep Movement A1
1 rep Movement A2
2 reps Movement A1
2 reps Movement A2
3 reps Movement A1
3 reps Movement A2
… and so on.

Athletes will have three minutes to work at each station, with a 30 second rest between stations. Each athlete will be required to bring their score sheet from one station to the next, providing it to the judge at each station. The judge will score their performance and ask that the athlete initial beside the score given, acknowledging that they accept the judge’s count.


THE MOVEMENTS
Men’s RX:
Couplet 1
A1: Snatch @ 135#
A2: Muscle-ups

Couplet 2
B1: Handstand Pushups (to 1 abmat between 45# plates)
B2: Chest-to-Bar Pullups

Couplet 3
C1: Thrusters @ 155#
C2: Box Jumps @ 30”

Each station will be scored as its own event. Therefore, this workout comprises 3 separate scored and ranked events. An athlete’s score in each event is the total reps performed within the time limit.



My thoughts:
Yeah, muscle-ups. So after I do my 135lb snatch, I'm gonna have a nice little rest before I move on to the next couplet.  Part of me thinks it would be glorious to somehow get my first ever MU in that environment.  The SMART part of me realizes I would fuck up my right shoulder even worse, which would probably not be helpful for someone who wants to do HSPUs, pull-ups, thrusters and (Event #3 spoiler alert) KB jerks in his immediate future. 

I'm gonna have to go hard on the second couplet, because if there's anywhere I might have an edge over some of the other competitors, it's my kipping HSPUs. 

They're gonna be strict on the thrusters, ensuring it's one continuous movement.  That will limit my output in Couplet 3 especially if I've worked hard on Couplet 2.

How they score and weight these events will be interesting.  Since they're being scored as its own event, will each of the three couplets within Event 2 count for as much as the first event? 



Event #3 "Keep Calm and Kettlebell Jerk On"

2 separately scored events, each 5 minutes in duration, with a 1 minute rest in between events.

The first event will be a 5 minute Single-Arm Kettlebell Jerk Test in which athletes will attempt to complete as many Jerks as possible with each arm. After the KB Jerk test, there will be a 1 minute rest,

For the second event, athletes will have 5 minutes to Row 1000m(Men)/800m(Women), and then complete as many Toes-to-Bar as possible in the remaining time.

For Jerk Test, athletes will be allowed one arm change for the duration of the 5 minute time limit, during which they will attempt to complete as many Jerks as possible with each arm. That is to say each athlete gets one set per arm to completed within the 5 minute time cap. The weight cannot be put down nor rested on the top of the shoulder, thigh, knee, or foot during the duration of the event, but the weight may contact the shoulder first as the competitor brings it back into the rack position. At no time can the athlete rest with both hands touching the kettlebell. The athlete’s score for this event is the lower of the two rep counts. Therefore if an athlete completes 30 reps with the right arm, and then only 25 reps with the left, their score will be 25. Pay careful attention to the movement standards, which are described below.

Men’s RX: 24 kg (Green competition kettlebell)

My thoughts:
KB jerks:    I actually just now realized it was jerks and not snatches, so I'm not sure how this is gonna go.   I will have to see how others handle their rests on this. 

Rowing and T2B: Meh. I'm so-so at rowing and below-average at toes-to-bar. 
   
There will be details on Events 4 and 5 released later.  I suspect those will be tiebreaker events that might be for the people who are higher in the rankings.  If not, I'll do them. If I don't have to do them, I'll join Drew and his spiked Gatorade in the stands as a spectator for the rest of the day. 

No comments: