Thursday, January 24, 2013

Push-ups: Ensuring my self-esteem doesn't get out of hand

@TylerMcMurchy : You know what totally suck? Push-ups. No wonder all those hardass drill sergeants use them as punishment in army movies.


A: Push-ups / Double Unders
Do 100 push-ups.  Everytime you have to take a break, do 35 double unders

I saw this as the workout and I almost didn't come because of it.  I was on the fence about going to CFR for a second straight day, and I started to justify my own pussiness this way: "My shoulder is a little sore.  Doing this could injure me."

Then, I decided that I wanted to go to CFR, but I didn't want to do the push-ups.  "I'll just do pull-ups instead."

Then I remembered that I am supposed to have some principles that oppose this sort of  WOD cherry-picking. 

So I just did the WOD, as is.  I sucked at it, as I knew I would.   

Yeah, yeah, I know that's okay.  Not every day can be an epic win.  You're not gonna look like a superstar in every WOD.  Admitting weakness (and working on those weaknesses) is a sign of true strength yada, yada, yada...

In my head, I know that. 

In my gut, I hate seeing my name with results that are significantly worse than almost everyone else's.   

My strategy was not to burn out my arms to the point where I'd be doing push-ups in sets of 5 at the end, meaning I'd have to do a ton of DUs.  And I also didn't want to exhaust myself doing huge sets of DUs, so I split them into sets of 20 and 15.  Unfortunately, this brilliant strategy had me resting a lot while managing to sacrifice both intensity and speed.  It was very non-CrossFitty.  

So here's how it went for me.   
20 PU
35 DU
12 PU
35 DU
8 PU
35 DU
10 PU
35 DU
10 PU
35 DU
10 PU
35 DU
10 PU
35 DU
10 PU
35 DU
10 DU
=100 Push-ups and 280 double unders in 18:00




B Breathing Ladder  

One 55lb KB swing, one breath, two swings, two breaths, etc. all the way to 10 and then back down.   

Took me 7:00 even. 

No comments: