Wednesday, September 7, 2016

Basement: Tyler tries yoga... and is pretty bad at it

I've had this feeling in the back of my mind for some time that I should do yoga.

For starters, I'm about as flexible as an inanimate carbon rod.



Plus, I know I should be trying new things more often.   And maybe yoga would help me calm the hell down or achieve inner peace or make me a better person somehow.  

But with going to B-Squad and Fitness by Design (aka VolkeFit) and also starting going once a week to boxing fitness classes at the Regina Boxing Club (wife had a punchcard with nine visits left she can't use, and Son already attends kids classes there, so it made sense for me to try it)  and regular Sunday garage workouts with Nick, that doesn't leave a lot of time (or money) to go to a yoga studio.  
Enter YouTube.   Specifically,  YouTube yoga queen Adriene.  

I searched "Yoga for Beginners," and that's how I found her.  She's got a ton of videos online, some specifically targeted for beginners.  

I picked this one and was off to the races.  


She, uh, seems nice.  She's pretty laid back (I guess you probably can't be too intense if you teach yoga) and has a very conversational teaching style, but she doesn't take it too seriously and is even a little goofy at times.  I like her.  I probably mentioned that one too many times to my Wife who is now accusing me of crushing on her.   

As far as me actually doing the yoga, it was a pretty basic routine, from what I understand.  Not that it was easy for me.   It's not necessarily easy following someone along on a TV.  Adriene would do a pose and I'd do it, but then I'd want to look to see if I was getting it right (I wasn't), which naturally takes me out of the pose.  

Fortunately, Adriene doesn't judge me and there are no other students around to make me feel self-conscious about how terrible I am at this stuff. 

I'm sure I would benefit from a real live instructor correcting my form, but that's a sacrifice I'm prepared to make for the convenience and lack of shame doing yoga by YouTube provides.  

I'm going to try to do this on a semi-regular basis. 

No comments: