Thursday, February 18, 2010

Strength - Workout A

Back squat - Three sets of 5 x 230lbs

Fuckin' heavy. Still a bit of room to go, though.


Shoulder press - Three sets of 5 x 110lbs

The last reps in each set were tough.


Deadlift - One set of 5 x 275lbs

It was last August that 275 was my one-rep max. This felt heavy as shit, but it felt good going up. Harlan says my DL technique is looking far better than it was a few weeks ago, but I still need to work on keeping the bar closer to my legs as it goes up.

Weighted pull-ups - Three sets of 5 x 30lbs.

Every time I do these, I go in expecting to fail but determined to scratch and claw my way over that fucking bar. This was no exception.

I'm not doing kipping pull-ups, per se, on these, but there was a lot of kicking my legs to get my chin that last few inches over the par on the last couple of reps in each set. I should probably ask Aaron at what point I should drop the weight or at least keep it at this weight.


On a slightly related topic, I'm starting to become a bit obsessed about this strength training stuff. Latest example: This morning before going to the gym, I received what can only be described as a very enticing offer from my lovely wife Tracey. I accepted, but there was a thought swimming around in the back of my head:

"Is this gonna affect my ability to do squats?"
.

No comments: