Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Strength - Workout A: FAIL!

Back squats: Three sets of 5 x 240lbs.

--I think I actually did six reps in the first set because of my well-documented inability to count. These are fucking hard now, and it's only getting worse.


Shoulder Press: Three sets of 5 x 115lbs

--These are pretty heavy for me. Kind of screwed up on the "remembering to inhale at the top" thing during the second set.


Deadlift: One set of 5 x 285lbs

--I think the number 285 got in my head a little bit, because it wasn't long ago that my one-rep max was 275. Or maybe it's just because it's really fucking heavy for me at this point in my progression. Anyway, I did the five, but my grip was pretty sketchy by rep #3 or so and it may be time to switch from the double overhand (meaning: both palms facing me) to having an over-under grip.


Weighted Pull-ups: Three sets of 5 x 32.5lbs.

--I didn't have a lot of confidence in my ability to get through this without a failure and, it turns out, I was right. I managed to get the chin over the bar for five reps on the first set, but could only do 3 on the second and third. Damn.

I sought some advice from Aaron on how to proceed, both with regards to the weight I should use next time on the WPLUs and the grip I should use on the deadlifts. His reply:

Pull-ups: how long are your rests between sets? I recall you did these quickly in the past. If your rest times are between 3-5 minutes then simply repeat the same weight next time and see if you can make the reps. If you miss again, go back to 30lb and continue on from there.

DLs: since you still made the reps I'd say repeat the 285 next time and see if you pull easier the second time around. Keep trying to use the overhand grip. A few weeks ago I had to switch to mixed grip for 3 of my 5. I repeated the weight the following week and made the lifts with all overhand grip.

Stay the course, young padawan.

8 comments:

aaron said...

OK, now I'm going to be overly self-conscious about what I say when it goes onto your blog...verbatim!

Tyler said...

Don't worry. No one reads this blog. Besides I did correct the sole typo in the original e-mail.

Kurt said...

Whatever...I copy and paste this blog everywhere. I'd like to join you in this strength training regiment - my back squats and SP are in need of serious work.

I'm going to be doing the milk thing as well. How much are you consuming and is there a recommended amount?

Tyler said...

Kurt, I think the milk thing is if you are looking to gain some size. I probably averaged three-quarters a gallon a day for a while, and ate whatever I wanted, and gained 10-12 pounds pretty damn quick. Some of it is in my gut (far less definition) but I've noticed that after a little more than a month of doing this strength stuff, I've added some size in my shoulders and arms, too. Also, my new pants that I celebrated getting a while back are now a bit more snug (still wearable, for now, anyway).

Since I'm not looking to weigh more than 200lbs I've scaled back on the milk now, a fair bit, though I still down plenty of protein shakes (sometimes with cow milk, sometimes with almond) and try to eat a lot of meat.

I'm not sure if you really need to GOMAD if you're not looking to gain, say, 50 lbs of muscle. You might just have to eat more. Harlan may disagree.

Anonymous said...

Random thoughts:

Far less definition?

I wondered if your new expensive pants still fit you.

Milk sucks.

aaron said...

Kurt, be very clear on what you are training for. The best way to gain the most strength is to be singularly focused on that goal. The moment you start diversifying your goals you will slow down the strength gains because you will also be focusing on other things. So, if strength is the goal, train and recover appropriately for it. That means train hard to stimulate the body, then maximize recovery by getting enough rest and fueling the body to allow it to prepare for the next training session. How does the milk fit in with this? If the body is operating on a deficit of calories, it will not maximize strength gain. How do you guarantee you are not taking in too few calories? Your body will store fat when there is the excess, so if you gain a bit of fat during strength training, you know you have a surplus of calories (you can always lean out later). Why milk? Access, cost, and ease of use are the main reasons. GOMAD means Gallon Of Milk A Day and there are a lot of calories in a gallon. Go with whole milk, you can get it anywhere. Work up to the gallon, don't expect to hit it on the first day. If you pudge out a bit, don't worry, this is not a lifetime eating plan, you can always lean out with that newly minted muscle you will gain.

Anonymous said...

Kurt have you noticed how many curl bars there are in the gym? Or mirrors, or calf raise machines or people strutting around in the pink spandex flexing their overly defined elbow muscles?

If the name of the game is get stronger drink the milk.

HB

Kurt said...

Aaron, the focus issue is duly noted and I'm going to narrow it down to 3-4 types of lifts (squatting, shoulder press, bench press and deadlifts) with deadhangs PLU’s and band/shoulder rehab work in the warm-up. I don’t want to completely abandon some of the standard wods since my cardio stinks. I’m reducing the number of maximum consecutive workouts from three to two and will have rest days worked in there.

As far as the milk goes – I’m starting the whole milk train today.