Monday, November 11, 2013

Partner AMRAP: Box jumps, Thrusters, Pull-ups

I didn't think this one would be that bad. 

Stupid me.  Those are ALWAYS the ones that get you. 

Partner AMRAP in 30 minutes:

15 box jumps
10 thrusters (95lbs)
5 pull-ups

One partner completes a round while the other one rests.

I partnered with Rankin. 

He went a lot faster than me on this.  The thrusters slowed me way down.  When it was my turn for rest, I would sprawl out on the floor, praying that he would just slow the fuck down.  I mean, c'mon dude, what is your fucking rush? 

We got 18 rounds, plus 15 box jumps plus 3 thrusters. 


* * *

On another front, I've written before about my personal rule against cherrypicking WODs

In this article, which I found thanks to my pal Paul Park, a guy who makes a case for doing just that:


Stupidity Spreads Like a Cold Sore at a Christmas Party

Excerpt:

I’ve always had a problem with this idea that CrossFitters shouldn’t cherry pick their WODs. At some point, there is going to be a workout on the whiteboard that your gut is telling you NOT to do. You need to decide right then and there if you are going to be a lemming or not. Maybe it’s not in line with your goals. Maybe you think the risk of injury is too high. Maybe it’s your birthday and you hate running and would rather deadlift. Maybe it’s a sumo deadlift high pull and therefore, not even a real thing.
The point is, when you ask yourself, “Why am I doing this?,” an intelligent coach will be able to give you an answer. If they cannot tell you why they program the way they do, then take your money elsewhere and find a coach who can.
...
To quote myself, “If more people had the balls to cherry pick WODs, I think some Crossfit coaches would stop being so stupid about programming. When a room full of people finally looks at the whiteboard and says, ‘You know what? This is just fucking idiotic. This isn’t a productive use of my time and it doesn’t help me reach my goals. I refuse to do this,’ then I shall celebrate.”


Truthfully, I don't disagree with any of this.  Well, maybe not the "I don't want to run because it's my birthday" thing.  Don't be such a pussy. 

When I wrote about not cherrypicking WODs, it was more targeted at people like myself who could find a good reason not to work out.  For me, skipping the gym is a first class ticket back to Fatfuckville. 

My fitness goals have never been well-defined, other than "Be less of a fat fuck."

However, in light of a few injuries, I would probably amend that to add "and try not to cripple yourself, idiot."

With that addition in mind, I will probably be a bit more selective in what I ask my body to do.  Ideally, this would not mean skipping a workout, but rather simply modifying it.   



No comments: