Monday, January 18, 2010

The Other Cancun Workouts

I kinda lost track of which days I did these, and while I did go on the internet briefly each day while in Mexico, it was mostly to check for messages from my Mom about how things were going, as my parents were looking after the Boy.

Thursday

Back on the roof for another metcon. The gym at the facility had some dumbbells, but it was pretty small for any kind of weight work, so I went back up to the unused rooftop terrace for another workout. I forgot to bring my stopwatch this time, so I don't know how fast I did it. Not really fast. But I was breathing pretty hard by the end.

Five rounds of:

10 burpees
10 squats
10 boxjumps (the terrace had a 20 inch stone bench surrounding it that was perfect for box jumps)
10 bench dips (kind of lame, but I wanted to do something for arms/shoulders other than push-ups)
10 double unders.

I was originally going to do it as a chipper (50 of each) , but it was getting dark and windy and I didn't want to be up there all night. Plus, I was a little self-conscious and was doing this in full view of about half the hotel rooms in the place.


Saturday

The previous day, I was killing some time wandering around the resort when I had a brainstorm. I went to the gym and took a look at the pull-down machine (not sure if that's the official name). I figured out that if I set it at its heaviest settings, I could use it for pull-ups. I was really happy and made mental plans to do 10 rounds of "Cindy" the next day. Then I got there in the morning and some guy with a moustache was using the cables on the machine to do bicep curls (kill me now). I could have hopped in with the three people who were taking part in the spinning class, but I really had no desire to do that (I don't like biking, running or walking in one place and not getting anywhere, which is probably why I'm not a big fan of rowing). So I thought I'd follow the credo of "regularly learn and play new sports" and spend a little while goofing around in the racquetball court. I actually worked up a pretty good sweat, but was surprised at how bad I was at sustaining any kind of a rally. I guess, when you play by yourself, you have to hit the ball twice as often. My parents have a court in their building complex and I think I'm going to drag my Dad in there to give it a try.

After what seemed like forever, Moustache was done pumping up his biceps, so it was time to do 10 rounds of Cindy (5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, 15 squats).

Except, that the pull-ups weren't coming so easy. I couldn't really kip without rocking the machine (and I didn't want it to fall over or to even make noise and get a warning from staff) so the pull-ups had to be mostly deadhang. So I switched it to five rounds of Cindy and I didn't time it. Then I went back to the hotel room and did 100 double-unders on the balcony.

The rest of the trip, I tried to make up for the insane amounts of non-paleo food and blended alcoholic drinks I was consuming by being as active as possible. I played a lot volleyball (beach, pool, tequila) and went on a bike tour, and fought the ocean at least once a day. I still gained a couple of pounds on the trip, but nowhere near what I would have otherwise.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Nice work dude. I liked your 24 post also.