Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Hero Workout "DT"

Hero workouts are named for fallen soldiers and are designed to be, as CFR trainer and UFC fan Paul says, "superhuman."

Five rounds for time of:

12 Deadlifts
9 Hang Power Cleans
6 Push Jerks



The prescribed ("rx'd" in CrossFit lingo) weight on this is 155lbs. The "intermediate" weight is 135lbs. I'm probably at the bottom end of the intermediate scale in most things CrossFit.

I'm sure glad we did the HPCs recently. When I first saw this, I was harbouring delusions of doing it as rx'd. HAH! I've only done one 155lb HPC in my life, so 45 in one workout might be a bit much.

Then I thought I'd do 135, but Paul psyched me out by saying that another trainer Chris T. did it at that weight and it was really tough on him.

Chris = much stronger than I and with better technique.

I warmed up with 95lbs, and it felt fairly heavy on the HPCs, but I knew I could do more. I was originally set to go with 115lbs, but at the last second, I threw a couple of 5lb plates on the bar to get it up to 125.

That was probably a good weight. I may even have been able to do the WOD at 135, but it would have doubled my time, and I had to do some f**king wall balls. As it was, I was still the last person finished. Toward the end, I was doing it more efficiently than at the start. I would do 11 deadlifts, set it down, do one deadlift and 8 of my HPCs, set it down, HPC it, then do the push jerks.

16:59.

151 wall ball (today's and tomorrow's) doing 10 per minute. Harlan and Mark just did that instead of the workout, and they caught up. I think Harlan did 900 WB in two days that way. The guy is a monster.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Tyler and I'm not really a monster. 1027 for a 2 day f**king wall ball total, and I am considering doing 100 every day until I'm done with this damm thing. Well see how I walk tomorrow first.

HB

Just as an aside the Pwr. Cl and P Jerks are supposed to be the agressive part of the workout not throwing things... buddy.

Paul said...

You're too hard on yourself. It's a hero WOD. Just attempting it is awesome. And you killed it, brother.

Tyler said...

Thanks, Paul. I'm actually not being hard on myself, I was pretty happy with the result today. Good job on doing the thing as rx'd.

Harlan, you are right. It's just that the PVC was on the weight rack, and I didn't want it there, so I removed it, forcefully, and in a way that satisfied my need to act destructive without actually destroying anything.