Thursday, June 10, 2010

Hero WOD "Randy" and must-see snatch video

For time:
75 power snatches, using 75 pounds.

I did this almost exactly one year ago, right before I started this blog. Back then, it took me 8:55.

Today, it took me 6:29. I'm pretty happy about that improvement. I wanted to take at least a minute off my time, and was hoping for a bit more. I figured I'd end up somewhere between 7:00 and 7:30.

I started off pretty fast, and did the first 30 in a little more than a minute. I slowed down a fair bit after that. I did the first 15 unbroken, and then did them in sets of five or less after.

Afterward, I did the 30 knees-to-elbows that was part of yesterday's workout, which I didn't have time for. I needed three sets (12, 13, 5) to do it.

Here's a video of some LAPD SWAT team members and CrossFitters doing the "Randy" WOD. The snatch technique ranges from good to not-so-good. Some guys are doing hang power snatches, but I think that's because they don't have bumper plates.

After the group workout is done, at 4:44 into this, there is an INSANE display by Josh Everett, who even I've heard of, so he is one of the top CrossFitters in the world. I'm gonna ruin it for you and tell you that he does the first 45 UN-FUCKING-BROKEN.

3 comments:

xmisterparkx said...

Nice job, Tyler.

Last time I did this one it was out at the 15 Wing gym and I got 8:29. I've always felt that I could've shaved at least a minute off of that just by being at CFR and surrounded by other CrossFitters. Maybe I'll make the trip to Regina tonight and test my theory. Do you ever notice a difference between doing WODs at CFR and CrossFit Creekside?

Tyler said...

Totally different. CF Creekside WODs are just to be able say that I did something. I am a different animal when I have something or someone to compete with.

xmisterparkx said...

For sure. You are an animal when you're at Crossfit.

I proved our point tonight. Went to the Y and slogged through a pathetic "Isabel". All I want to do now is go to CFR and do it for "real".