Thursday, February 12, 2015

B-Squad: You can't spell "rowing" without OW

A. Rowing sprints

Row 500m three times, resting as needed in between.

God, this was bad.

Part of the reason was that I felt that I should be able to set a new 500m PR.  I own a rower, which I do now use on a fairly regular basis (which is an improvement over its dust-collecting first year in my house), but I never really do hard-ass 500m sprints on their own.  I've never challenged myself to make a new PR.

So I went completely  balls-out on the first round.  At the start, I was doing short, hard strokes  About halfway through, I was exhausted and switched to longer pulls, sacrificing explosion and a bit of speed for sustainability.  I took LONG rests between each round, laying on the floor trying to work up the nerve to get back on the rower and wondering why I don't just do Jazzercise or hot yoga or something. 

Round 1 1:34 PR (I didn't set the rower for a countdown from 500m, so this is via Nolan's eyeball).  My previous best was 1:37.7.  

Round 2 1:38

Round 3 142.3


That was all that was programmed for the day, but I had eaten what was -- even for me -- a ridiculous amount of candy and donuts at work.  Prior to rowing, I told Nolan I could actually feel myself getting fatter as I was talking to him. 

I felt I should atone for that.   Nolan suggested another little bit of fun.

B. DUs and PPs

For time:
100 double unders and 10 push press (95lbs)
80 and 8
60 and 6
40 and 4
20 and 2.

Took me 10:23.    I was still a little baked from the rowing so this went as well as could be expected..  When I first started the DUs, I only did 5 in a row.  Thankfully, I was able to string together some bigger sets after that.  I did most of the DUs in sets of 30s and 20s.  I may have done the 40 unbroken. 

No comments: