Saturday, June 22, 2013

Spring Fling IV

 

Short version


I finished 30th out of 31 men in Division 1.   Fuckin' swimming, man.  Fuckin' swimming. 

Nevertheless, I had a great time and this was as good as any CrossFit competition as I've participated in. 


Longer, incredibly self-absorbed version

I tweaked  my back on Wednesday doing back squats and I was still hurting two days later.  I actually tried to pull out on Friday, but there was no one who was able to take my spot on short notice and the Scot in me wasn't willing to kiss $80 goodbye.  Yeah, I would have gotten a T-shirt, but I'm not going to wear something that says "Competitor" on the back if I didn't actually compete.  

I thought I'd give it a shot on Saturday and see how I held up during WOD 1.  I wasn't optimistic after a couple of painful 95lb cleans in the warm-up area (alley). Then I borrowed Matt's belt, and it made a world of difference. 


WOD1 "Grace is growing on you"  (8:00 time cap)

10 Clean & Jerks 135lbs (Grace standards apply, any clean, any jerk)
100m Run (to 50m marker and back)

10 Clean & Jerks 155lbs (athlete adds own weight to bar)

100m Run (to 50m marker and back)

10 Clean & Jerks 185lbs  (athlete adds own weight to bar)


I had a pretty good pace on the first set of 10.  Don't get me wrong, I was by far the slowest in my heat, but I think I was still done it in under 90 seconds.

After the run, the 155lbs went okay. 

I don't remember how much time I had went I got back from the second run.  Less than four minutes, for sure.   I remember thinking it probably wouldn't be enough time. 

Going into this, the 185lb C&Js were kind of scary to me.  I've cleaned more than that for singles plenty of times, but usually not after doing a fair of work already.

However, when I started doing them, they actually went up a little easier than expected.  It could've been because I was good and warm by then, or due to Matt's belt, or just because I was the last one still going in my heat so I got a lot of support from the spectators. 

Ricky Bobby said "If you ain't first, you're last."



Well, in CrossFit, when you're last, they cheer you like you're first. 

Because it was so loud in there, I couldn't really hear my judge Nicole telling me what rep I was on. I probably wasn't paying much attention anyway. 

With 10 seconds left on the clock, all I knew I wasn't done yet, and I couldn't will myself to pick up that bar one more time. 

I found out afterward that it would've been my last one.  Oh, and you get a half-point for a clean.  That hurt a little.

But, going into this, I figured I would likely DNF it.  I did, but I DNF'd it as good as I possibly could have without, y'know, F-ing it. 

After they posted the results, I thought I was tied for last on this WOD, because my name was at the bottom of the page.  I didn't see the second sheet of paper underneath with the rest of the field. 

26th out of 31


Between WODs 1 and 2, I took advantage of the free massages offered to athletes, asking the masseuse to work on my lower back.  That was so great.

* * *





WOD2 - “Save Olympic Wrestling”


12 minute AMRAP of:

5 KB Snatch each arm (55lbs)

5 pullup/toes to bar complex
15 Burpee broad jumps

Having done this WOD on Wednesday, I knew what to expect.  I also knew that there is only one way to do well on this: Don't stop. 

So I went as fast as I could.  The snatches were over quick.  I'm not great at T2B, but I tried not to waste too much time on them. 

After the first round, I felt like maybe I had pushed the pace too much,  I don't know if I noticeably slowed down, but I tried to just push through it.  

Global News was there to take some shots for the weekend sportscast, and when I saw the clips on TV, it sure seemed like I was moving slower than I remembered. 

By the way that coverage also included a clip of yours truly doing this:


Is this a shot from Global Regina's coverage of Spring Fling, or a clip from my long forgotten softcore past?


Sexy, right?   You can look, ladies, but you can't touch.  Or if you do touch, try to make it seem like an accident. 

I had a couple of missteps during the WOD.  One time I started on the T2B, not the pull-ups.  Because I'm a dumbass.

And then, late in the WOD, I couldn't find my kettlebell.  Like, what the fuck?  I know I put it back on the designated spot, so I think the dude in the lane next to me (you can see him in the picture above) misplaced his, and then used mine and put it back on his spot. 

So I took it back, did my snatches and put it back on his spot before he needed it.  I don't know how much time it cost me looking for a new KB (there were 45s in the vicinity so that added to my confusion).  It could have been 10 seconds or it could have been 20.  It may have cost me a few reps, which would have made a slight difference in the WOD and overall standings (maybe one spot, two at the very most) but whatever.

I finished with a score of 154 on the WOD (4 complete rounds, plus 10 snatches and 2 PLU/T2B). 
That was good for 26th out of 31. 

* * *
This smiling fool has no idea how bad this is is gonna be.  No frickin' idea.


WOD #3 “Sink or Swim”


10:00 time cap
2 rounds for time:

100m Swim

25 Squats

50m Kick

25 Situps

The last time I swam in any kind of a competition, it was in Cancun in 2010.  That competition involved swimming across a hotel pool (maybe 10m), chugging a beer, swimming across the pool, eating a slice of cheesecake, and then more swimming, and possibly tequila.   

I nearly died. 

This was worse.  Holy shit, I should have gone to swim club. 

As I was approaching the edge of the pool after the first 50m, I looked down and saw how deep it was, then looked up and saw how far I was away from the wall and I thought that I might actually drown. 

I'm pretty sure I forgot to kick my feet for at least some of the time I was swimming.  And when I was kicking, I was kicking them out of the water, which is inefficient and spazzy.  It's good to see that my swimming technique shares some qualities with my Oly lifting.

I couldn't believe people were walking in the water when they got to the shallow end of the pool... until I actually started doing the WOD and that was my favourite part. 

Anyway, I was terrible at this and I have no one to blame but myself.  I knew for weeks there'd be swimming and I did absolutely NOTHING to prepare for it.

I got ANOTHER fucking DNF... I was six situps away from finishing.  29th out of 31.


I would like to note for the record that, despite how terrible I did,  I think it was a great idea to include swimming in this year's Spring Fling.   It's good to see how CrossFit-ness can translate into success (or, in my case, lack thereof) in other areas of fitness that we don't experience every week in the box. 

Plus, the swim WOD also gave us a chance to see Shae wearing a pair of Batman swim trunks he obviously stole from an 8-year-old. 


Holy compressed package, Batman!

And, since I was safely out of the top 8 -- way, WAY out of the top 8 -- I was able to relax and enjoy watching the final event (a fucking Fat Bar Fran) with a couple of my best friends.




So, yeah, good weekend.   



All the best pictures in this post (the two sweet black and white ones, "Swimming Idiot" and "Nacho Time") were taken by Shane Nicholson of EdgeMatic Images.  He takes awesome CrossFit pictures, and I bet he's great at other kinds of photography, too. Hey, maybe you should hire him to take pictures of something.     




No comments: