Monday, February 18, 2013

Garage WOD at the House of Volke

Steve invited some CrossFitters over for a series of Team WODs at his house, and it was a good time.  Steve and his wife Carmen are such nice people and he's got a sweet little set up for small-group WODs.  With 11 of us doing events simultaneously in his garage and basement, things got chaotic, but it was a lot of fun.  

Here's what we did:


I was on Team 1, along with Joel, Lucas, and Michelle.    You can see our results above. 

Observations:
  • Event 1 was the toughest, followed by Event 3.  
  • Event 2, we only counted burpees but were still supposed to work hard on the other stuff, not rest until it was our turn to do a minute of burpees (only had to do that twice). 
  • Originally these WODS were set up for three people.  We figured out extra stuff for the person to do for each WOD (Event 1 - 45lb pet rock, Event 2 -  shoulder height bell swings, Event 3 - rest.) I liked Event 3 best.   
  • I have no idea how to do corkscrews without fucking up my back, so I did very few of them.  Though it wasn't so much the technique limiting me as it was the fact that I was fucking tired.
  • The hardest part of Event 1 was the K2E.  I didn't want to drop off the bar. 
  • The hardest part of Event 3 was the weighted step-ups.  I had to reach down to a dark place in my soul to get done the 10 reps on the last one. 
  • Team Fran was not too tough, because there was a lot of resting involved. Four teams of 4, you could probably increase the number of reps in each round a bit, maybe 60-40-20 or something like that.
  • Lucas did all 45 pull-ups in the first round by himself.  Joel did more than 20 thrusters.  I contributed my share to our efforts in Team Fran, but nothing herculean.  
  • Team 3 had three people, so it would have helped them in some aspects and hurt them in others.  Plus, all the teams started on different events, so the standings are not exactly comparing apples to apples.

No comments: