Monday, November 12, 2012

CrossFit ClusterF--k largely averted

Yes, it's been five days since I last hit CrossFit for a WOD.  But I've been shovelling a shitload of snow in the last three days, so I should get some credit for that, right?   ANSWER ME, EXERCISE GODS!!!!

“Remember Me” Chipper for time:
11 Deadlifts – 275
11 Burpees
11 KB Swings – 70
11 Burpees
11 Overhead Squats – 115
11 Burpees
11 Chest-to-Bar Pull-ups
11 Burpees
11 Box Jumps – 24″
11 Burpees
11 DB Squat Cleans – 2×45
500m Row
11 Thruster – 135
11 Double Unders
11 Power Clean – 135
11 Double Unders
11 Handstand Push Ups
11 Double Unders
11 Toes to Bar*
11 Double Unders*
11 Push Press 115
11 Double Unders
11 Snatch – 115
500m Row otherwise


Yes, that is all in one workout.  It's a hefty amount of work, but not insane by CrossFit standards.  As the oldest, crotchetiest CrossFitter in attendence, my biggest concern going into this WOD was finding space to do all the shit we needed to do in a gym that was full for the 4pm class.  There was also separate workout going on for those people doing the Accelerated Competition Training.  This WOD required the following:
  • 275lb barbell
  • 135lb barbell (which, with a pair of 35s and 10s could be converted to a 115lb)
  • Box
  • Pair of 45lb dumbells
  • Space to do burpees without worrying that someone doing overhead squats is gonna dump a bar on your head

Honestly, I thought this had the potential to be a total CrossFit ClusterFuck. Once we got going, we stagger-started enough that it wasn't so bad, so I think Leya gets some credit for that, as do the other athletes for being patient and considerate.

It would be interesting to do this WOD in a big, empty gym or field with all the equipment laid out in a sequential order.  I doubt it would help my time a huge amount, but it might make a bit of difference. 

I finished at 33:34 and rested for a few minutes and then the Boy wanted to go do some of his Daddy-assisted pull-ups.  (He grabs the bar, and I give him enough of a lift to get his chin over the bar without him having to exert so much energy that he isn't able to brag about how strong he is.) 

It was then that it occurred to me that I had skipped the Toes-to-Bar and the double unders that were supposed to follow it while doing the WOD. 

AAAGH! 

So I did them. If you add the time it took me to do that plus my previous time (and ignore the several minutes I spent resting, which is what I'm going to do for the sake of future comparison purposes) I think my time is more like 35 minutes a a result. 

No comments: