Saturday, April 20, 2013

VolkeFit Harbour Village Throwdown!


Smile and the whole world smiles with you. Squat, and you squat alone.


Steve hosted another CrossFit get-together in his garage on Saturday.  (Oh shit, I hope by me calling it that, I'm not getting him in trouble with CrossFit HQ.  Gotta protect the brand, y'know.)

There were 11 people taking part, I think.  We split up into teams, and I ended up on a stacked team consisting of Matt, Leya, Shae, and Uncles.  It was kind of like being a journeyman left-winger for the Moose Jaw Warriors who somehow ends up playing on the mid-80s Edmonton Oilers dynasty team.
I didn't record results, so I'll just talk about what we did. 

WOD #1
Teams of three, conga line.  Two rounds of: 
10 burpees
15 squats
200m-ish run 

(Joel, Leya and me)

This was fine.  I like doing all of this stuff.  This was the first time I ran outside in my new, minimalist Innov-8s, so I may have gone a little slower as I was more conscious of where I was stepping. 

Or maybe I was just running that slow because I haven't actually run anywhere in five months. 


WOD #2 
Teams of three, one person working at a time 
-Three minutes of OHS for max reps (95lbs)
-Two minutes of hand-release push-ups 

(Matt, Shae and me)

I think I mostly held my own on the OHS, doing a couple sets of 15.  Let's not talk about how I did on the push-ups, mmkay?


WOD #3
7-minute AMRAP:
Teams of three, one person at each station:
-Sit-ups
-20 power cleans (135 and 95lbs)
-handstand hold
(Matt, Leya and Uncles)

Score was the max sit-ups.  You switch whenever one teammate has completed the 20 cleans. And -- here's the nasty part, which I'm proud to say was my idea -- you can only work when the one teammate is in the handstand hold 

I sat this one out... which made it way more entertaining. 



If your face doesn't look like this when you CrossFit, you're doing it wrong

WOD #4
5-minute AMRAP (I think... I could have the time wrong)

Teams of three - Each person at a station, rotate when everyone's done.


Keep in mind, the camera adds a good 50-60 lbs

-20 overhead lunges - 45lbs 
-20 front squats - 135lbs
-20 kettlebell snatches - 55lbs

The front squats were a special kind of awful, especially when you (meaning me) are the last person to finish at your  station in a garage full of hyper-fit people and your team is waiting for you to hurry the fuck up, fatass so they can get back to exercising. 

WOD #5
Everyone does this, going through one at a time. 

One minute at each station:
-Wall ball
-Box jumps (20")
-Pull-ups
-Battle ropes

Battle ropes are one of those things that look not so bad, but then you do them and you are just praying for the sweet release of death. 



***

Driving with Arnold:

I saw this on Fuck Yeah CrossFit and I liked it so I stole it and put it here. 




 

No comments: