Monday, September 27, 2010

"Helen"

Three rounds, for time, of:

400m run
21 55lb bell swings
12 pull-ups

Took me 9:24 (PR)

I wanted to beat my year-old PR of 9:42 SO bad. I figured the key would be to attack each run with a sense of urgency and not waste time with unnecessary breaks on the swings and pull-ups.

That strategizing was all well and good, but what really got me through this in a hurry was having Leya right on my ass the whole time. There aren't many WODs I can match her on these days, as she has taken her dedication to fitness and nutrition to a whole other level (23 rounds on Cindy; I mean, that's just insane). However, Helen is short and stocked with runs and pull-ups, so it's as well suited to my strengths as any of the benchmark girls.

Tonight, every time I thought I'd opened up a bit of a lead on the runs, she'd come in and close the gap right up on the bell swings. I got so pre-occupied with wondering how she was able to do them so fucking fast, I lost count during the second round, so I may have done an extra one (I try to err on the side of caution).

Afterward, my forearms and grip were totally shot for close to 20 minutes. Thank God the feeling came back because I was starting to worry about how I'd drive home.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You killed Helen! And I was a witness!

Those last pull ups looked tough, but you fought through, excellent work.

I was watching both you and Leya do those bell swings in amazement. You were flying, and she was a blur.

Thanks for yelling at me to get the last of my pull ups done. I appreciate it.

Derek

Leya said...

LOL! Yes, I was on your tail the entire time... eating your dust. Just when I thought I might catch you, you were up and gone again!

You really pushed yourself and that helped to push me. I was for sure thinking I would not break 10 minutes let alone snag a PR.